Testimony

Hello, my name is Seth Walker. Let me start by telling you a little bit about myself. I was born on January 7, 1996. It was a snowy Sunday morning, known as the “Blizzard of ‘96.” There were complications during my birth, and I was born not breathing. I was born with no heartbeat, and I did not breathe on my own for about thirty minutes. In reality, I was born dead, but the doctors brought me back to life. I was in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for the first week of my life, but I made a remarkable recovery according to the doctors. I went home after seven days in the hospital. Because of the lack of oxygen to my brain during my birth, I have a condition called cerebral palsy. Cerebral palsy affects brain function, and it is a life-long condition, which has no cure. It can be severe, or it can be mild. It can affect any area of the brain from muscle control to speech or cognitive skills such as, “smarts” or intelligence. My cerebral palsy is in the middle or a medium case. It affects my muscles by not allowing them to work correctly, but God has blessed me with a sharp, bright mind.

Due to my cerebral palsy, I cannot walk nor can I do any of my everyday tasks, such as feeding myself, dressing, showering, scratching an itch, or even rolling over in bed without assistance from others. I cannot even sit without using a wheelchair. In addition, my speech does not come out clearly, and it is difficult for people to understand what I am saying. At home, my parents and my brother take care of me and assist me with my needs. 

 I came to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ during the summer after second grade. My parents had taken me to church all of my life, but in second grade, my teacher, Mrs. Kunce, talked a lot about Jesus in the classroom, and that really made an impact on me. Actually, the “Good News” that she spoke about changed my life. A public school teacher sharing her faith in the classroom! During that summer, I felt the Holy Spirit tugging on my heart. At the end of the summer, I had lunch with Mrs. Kunce at the Macaroni Grill. While we were at lunch, I expressed my need for Jesus Christ to her, and I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. Jesus will meet you wherever you are, even at the Macaroni Grill. In September, I followed through with my commitment by being baptized. Shortly after, I felt God’s calling on my life to preach. 

I was an honor student at Station Camp High School and graduated in May of 2014 with a 4.0 GPA. I was Freshman Class President and involved in student government. During my sophomore, junior, and senior years, I was a manager for the Bison Basketball team at Station Camp. In addition, some of my friends took me to my Junior and Senior Proms, and during senior year, one of the Homecoming attendants, Kalie Carter, asked me to be her escort. On Homecoming night, she was crowned queen!! I was incredibly proud of Kalie! As a matter of fact, she is still one of my closest friends. Even though Kalie, my friends, and I have attended different colleges, we have remained close. God surrounded me with many good friends while I was in high school and college. In the Spring of 2017, one of my friends from Lipscomb asked me to be her date at her social club’s formal. Of course, I said yes!!! For two years, my mom prayed that God would send just one good friend into my life. Well, He sent many!!! Our God is faithful!!! Ephesians 3:20 says, “Now glory be to God! By his mighty power at work within us, he is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope. God has allowed me to do countless things that I have desired to do. I give Him all honor and glory for all that he has done in my life!

I earned an Associates of Science degree in Mass Communication from Volunteer State Community College and graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 GPA in May of 2016. At graduation, I was awarded the Outstanding Graduate Award voted on by the faculty! I had always planned on being a Religious Studies or a Political Science major, but through several instances upon graduating high school, I was encouraged to be a Mass Communication major by people who were helping me with resources I    needed for college and with developing a career plan for post-graduation. I agreed, but halfheartedly.

While at Lipscomb University, God had other plans in mind as Proverbs 16:9 states, “A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord determines his steps.” I’ve felt a strong calling into the ministry ever since I was eight years old. In the Spring of 2017, after talking to my pastor and praying about it, I decided to change my major to Theology and Ministry, and felt this was exactly where God wanted me.

 

My plans were to further my education at Belmont University, but through a series of events, God, once again, led me away from Belmont and to Lipscomb! I consider it a blessing to have been a part of the Lipscomb community! I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Theology and Ministry from Lipscomb and graduated magna cum laude on May 4, 2019. My last semester, I was an honorary member of a social club, Sigma Alpha, and, I was blessed to receive the Charles E. Chumley Bible Knowledge Award as voted on by the Bible department faculty. At the graduation ceremony, my assistant, Mr. Ken Brassell, was awarded an honorary diploma. I was very happy for him because of his dedication for the past five years. Mr. Ken had been with me in every college class both at Vol State and Lipscomb. He even attended the classes for me that I was not able to attend. I know beyond a doubt that he was sent by God for “such a time as this .“ Mr. Ken is still a part of my life, continuing to be my personal assistant a few days a week, and I cannot wait to see all that God has in store for us! 

 

When I was involved in local missions in high school, in which I wrote Bible studies and accompanied groups to mission sites, I enjoyed every aspect and felt totally at peace. Fast forward to January of 2017. I just happened upon a YouTube video of my Executive Pastor sharing the Gospel in India the previous summer, and about 500 boys came to know Christ! Two summers ago, I was heavily burdened for the disabled who don’t have access to medical care and who are mistreated. When my family and I went to Chicago on vacation during that same summer, I couldn’t help but notice the shear lostness of that city and was deeply burdened. However, when my family and I visited Wheaton College, the same peace came over me as it did while doing missions, especially while I was in the Billy Graham Museum. I felt an urgency of sharing the Gospel. Right before the Fall 2017 semester started, I was listening to Fearfully and Wonderfully Made on audiobook, and the author was describing a woman in a third world country who was dying (utterly starving) from a tumor of shear fat. Then, he said that it disgusted him to see churches have a lot of money in the budget for their building and little for missions. At that moment, I was deeply moved and felt like God was directing me toward missions! Then, during the following October, I was doing a Lectio Divina of Galatians 6:12-16, and verse 14 really spoke to me. Jesus said, “Since I gave my life for you, give your life to me.” This was affirmation of what I had strongly felt God calling me to do from the young age of eight. Whatever God calls me to do, I will follow him. 

Three years ago, my legs became VERY tight due to spasticity in my muscles due to Cerebral palsy. So, in July of 2016, I underwent a trial study to see whether or not I was a candidate for a Baclofen pump to relieve the tightness and had really great results. Then, I had surgery in October of that same year to insert the pump. Everyone told my parents and me that I would feel a little better each time they increased the medicine in the pump and that I should be back to normal by Christmas. However, every time they increased the medicine, I remained the same. So, when the new year came around, nothing had changed. On January 8 of 2017, I shared my testimony at my church, and my pastor asked everyone to pray for me. Not only was my church praying for me, but countless family members, friends, teachers, and people I didn’t even know were praying for me. Over the next few weeks, my neurologist strongly believed that orthopedic surgery was necessary to relieve the tightness in my legs. During that same period of time, my family and I wondered if I would ever get better. Then, one Sunday in mid February, my legs SUDDENLY loosened up! It was truly a miracle. I honestly believe God answered the prayers of His people!!! TO HIM BE THE GLORY!!!

In October of 2018, I applied to Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and was accepted about a month later. One of my dreams for a long time was to attend seminary after I completed my undergraduate degree, and now, God had opened the door! I felt strongly that this was the path I was to follow when I received a seminary scholarship. However, I was experiencing some health issues after graduation, and during this past summer, I prayed for God’s direction in which path to take in the fall. When registration time came in early August, God led me to defer seminary classes until the Spring 2020 semester. I decided to take a break from school during the Fall and work on developing my story.  I am currently in the midst of an exciting project that God has intricately weaved together and placed in front of me -- three days after putting seminary on hold. 

My limitations do not slow me down! I am very active in my church, First Baptist Hendersonville, and was able to attend three Passion Conferences in Atlanta. In addition, I served as a Social Media Intern at church over the past three summers. I try to keep my focus on my abilities instead of my disabilities. The only thing that I can do on my own, totally independent of anyone else’s assistance, is think and use my brain. I am thankful to God for blessing me with this ability and know that He has a plan for my life. I do not worry about what others may think. I know that I am a unique individual. I would encourage you to do the same. You too are a unique individual, ONE OF A KIND! We were all created for a purpose. I believe that in the entire world, there is no one exactly like you or like me.

            I believe wholeheartedly that you can be anything that you want to be. No matter where you come from or where you are in life right now, despite age, responsibilities, finances, physical limitations, you can do anything with your life that you want to. However, it will take hard work and determination. Are you willing to give it all you’ve got and not give up when everything seems impossible? Work through the difficulties. Perseverance always has its rewards. Persevere when everything is working against you. Persevere when others do not believe in you. Let your desire and your determination be bigger than any obstacle that you may face!

Paul says in Philippians 3:20-21:

But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. He will take these weak mortal bodies of ours and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same mighty power that he will use to conquer everything, everywhere.”

When I read these verses, it makes me want to jump and shout. However, as you can see, I cannot physically do this. Since I do not have complete control over my body, sometimes I make noises and honestly, it is embarrassing. At times, it is difficult for me to contain my emotions. That is why you may hear me laugh or be excited.

These verses remind me that my limitations are only temporary! They give me hope. Yes, sometimes I wish that my life was different, but I keep my focus on my ultimate destination which is Heaven. Heaven is eternal while this life is only for a few years! Heaven is better than any place that I am able to imagine! God tells me this in His Word, and I believe Him.  First  Corinthians 2:9 says, "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him." Heaven is indescribable! 

When I get to Heaven, I will take my first step! I will be able to run, jump, and play basketball! Also, I will be able to speak clearly! My Earthly body will pass away, and Jesus will give me a glorious new body! I will be able to do all the things that I have dreamed of doing in this life!  My focus will totally be on praising my Savior! I will be able to sit at His feet without using a wheelchair! I will then be able to praise Him by jumping for joy and by singing with my new voice! HALLELUJAH!!

 I am eagerly awaiting Jesus’ return or the day I meet him face to face! Then, He will transform my Earthly body into a glorious body!! In Revelation 22:12, Jesus says He is coming soon! My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, is returning soon! Are you ready to meet Him? Right now, in this world, I am running a race of faith. However, in Heaven, with my new body, I will be able to run a race with my new glorious legs!!

 Who wants to run with me? 

If you have not accepted Jesus Christ to be your Lord and Savior, I personally invite you to do so. Jesus gives me the strength to make it through each day, and He will do the same for you. Whatever your need may be, Jesus is the answer. All you have to do is admit that you need Him, ask Him and allow Him to be the Lord of your life. Jesus desires to have a personal relationship with you. He is lovingly and patiently waiting for you.  He says “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock…” 

  

Comments